Acute Kidney Injury in Patients Admitted in ICU after Third Day of Admission

Ali Najeh Al-Awwady,

Published on: 2020-06-08


Background: Acute kidney injury is a major clinical health problem worldwide due to increased morbidity and mortality, and the burden of disease is heavy due to poor prognosis. Objective: Early diagnosis and secondary prevention of Aki in patients admitted in the intensive care unit and the role of new systems (Rifle) in this aspect.
Patients and Method: This was a cross-sectional study of 72 patients admitted in the intensive care unit with different causes of admission through the period extending from August 2018 to December 2018. Enrolled patients were adults of both genders with different causes of admission to ICU.
Results: A total of 72 patients were recorded in this study with a mean age of 39.8±18.7 years, and almost half (48.6%) of the patients aged 30 years or less. Males were the dominant represented 70.8%. History of chronic disease was reported in 22 patients (30.6%). Acute kidney injury detected in 13 patients (18.1%), while the remaining 59 patients (81.9%) did not have Aki according to Rifle criteria.
Conclusion: An appropriate definition of Aki, depending on Rifle criteria, in critically ill patients will modify the diagnosis of Aki and improve global outcomes.

scroll up