Nasal Septal Deviation in Relation to External Nasal Deformities: An Observational Study

Layth Adnan Sulaiman,

Published on: 2022-06-20


The nose is structurally complex and this complexity results in nasal shape variations. The study aimed to determine the nasal septal deviations occurrence in relation to external nasal deformities. A cross-sectional study was conducted in the Department of Ear, Nose and Throat, in our hospital. All the individuals had septal deviation with external nasal deformity from November 2017 to November 2018. Those patients be evaluated by comprehensive clinical examination of ear, nose and throat. Patient’s symptoms are rated with Sino-Nasal Test -22 questionnaire. Septal deformities were classified using Mladina classification modified. External nasal deformities were classified employing Yong Jo Jang’s classification. Approximately, 43% were males and 57% were females. About 90% of patients aged from 21 years to 50 years. About 58% of patients were symptomatic while the rest 42% were without symptoms. On correlating the symptoms with the type of deviation it was found significantly association (P=0.05). Majority of individuals are in the middle age group. Type II and IV are the most common types of NSD whereas type I is a common END. Noteworthy finding of our study is patients had no deformity.

scroll up