We take the privacy and protection of data and information seriously, and are committed to handling the personal information of all those we engage with, whether customers, suppliers, colleagues or any other community, responsibly and in a way that meets the legal requirements of the countries in which we operate.
We use up-to-date industry procedures to keep personal information as safe and secure as possible and to protect against loss, unauthorized disclosure or access. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to the Site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
What data do we collect about you?
Personal data, or personal information, means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
It is not necessary for you to register with us in order to access this Site. However, we may collect, use, store and transfer some information from interactive features such as contact and registration forms and online surveys, which may include different kinds of personal data about you:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, marital status, title, date of birth and gender.
- Professional Data Education, nationality and professional background information
- Contact Data includes billing address, delivery address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Financial Data includes bank account and payment card details.
- Transaction Data includes details about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this Site.
- Profile Data includes your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our Site, products and services.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
We also collect, use and share Aggregated Data such as statistical or demographic data for any purpose. Aggregated Data may be derived from your personal data but is not considered personal data in law as this data does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity. If we combine or connect Aggregated Data with your personal data so that it can directly or indirectly identify you, we treat the combined data as personal data which will be used in accordance with this privacy notice.
We do not collect any Special Categories of Personal Data about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health and genetic and biometric data), nor do we collect any information about criminal convictions and offences.
Sensitive personal data: If collecting or storing sensitive personal data such as information relating to health, beliefs or political affiliation, we typically ask for your explicit consent. However, there are some situations where it will not be possible to request consent, such as if you have an accident at one of our events. If this does occur, we will ensure your privacy rights are protected.
Children’s personal data: Our services and products are directed to academics and business professionals. They are not intended for children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal data from this age group. If any information is collected from a child under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, it will be deleted.
If you fail to provide personal data: Where we need to collect personal data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
How do we use your information
We are committed to delivering a relevant and useful experience to you. Depending on how you interact with us and the Service, we use your personal information to:
- Provide, activate and manage your access to and use of the Service;
- Process and fulfill a request, order, download, subscription or other transaction;
- Offer you customized content and other personalization to make the Service more efficient for you and more relevant to your interests and geography;
- Enhance and improve the Service, such as add new content and features;
- Notify you about changes, updates and other announcements related to the Service;
- Deliver targeted advertisements, promotional messages, and other information related to the Service and to your interests;
- Provide technical, product and other support and help to keep the Service working, safe and secure; and/or
- Identify usage trends and develop data analysis, including for the purposes of research, audits, reporting and other business operations, such as to pay royalties and license fees to third-party content providers, determine the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, evaluate our business performance, or in other ways pursuant to a customer agreement.
We may also use your personal information to:
- Respond to your requests, inquiries, comments or concerns;
- Conduct and administer user testing and surveys as well as sweepstakes, competitions and similar promotions;
- Provide you with relevant promotional messages and other information about products, events and services of ours, our group companies and third parties such as societies and sponsors;
- Enhance and improve our products, events and services and develop new ones; and/or
- Comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
Sharing of your information
We share your personal information in the following ways and contexts.
If you access the Service through a subscription administered by your institution, your personal information and certain usage data gathered through the Service, such as the number of items you downloaded, any fee-based items you accessed, and test scores, may be accessed by or shared with the administrators authorized by your institution for the purposes of usage analysis, subscription management, course management and testing and remediation. If your institution is a corporation or other business entity, additional usage data, such as the types of records you viewed and the number of searches you ran, also may be shared for the purposes of cost attribution and departmental budgeting.
We may also disclose to your institution or other third parties non-personally identifiable information, such as anonymous usage data reports and aggregated information, subject to any applicable legal or contractual obligations.
Our group companies and service providers
Depending on the Service provided, we share your personal information with our:
- Affiliates, trading names and divisions within the Group companies that provide technology, customer service and other shared services functions; and/or
We may also share your personal information with our group companies and with sponsors, joint venture partners and other third parties, including entities for which we are acting as an agent, licensee, application host or publisher, such as societies, that wish to send you information about their products and services that may be of interest to you as determined by your choices in managing your communications preferences and other settings.
The Service may let you post and share personal information, comments, messages, materials and other content. Any such information that you disclose publicly or in discussion for a in the service may be collected and used by others, may be indexed by search engines, and might not be able to be removed. Please be careful when disclosing personal information in these public areas.
We also will disclose your personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is necessary to:
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or other legal obligation;
- Detect, investigate and help prevent security, fraud or technical issues; and/or
- Protect the rights, property or safety of ours, our users, employees or others; and as part of a corporate transaction, such as a transfer of assets to or an acquisition by or merger with another company.
Your rights as a data subject
If the respective requirements are met, we grant you certain rights as a data subject.
- Right of access:You shall have the right to obtain from us confirmation as to whether or not personal data concerning you are being processed, and, where that is the case, access to the personal data and certain information.
- Right to rectification:You shall have the right to obtain from us without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data concern-ing you. Taking into account the purposes of the processing, you shall have the right to have incomplete personal data completed, including by means of providing a supplementary statement.
- Right to erasure:You shall have the right to obtain from us the erasure of personal data concerning you.
- Right to restriction of processing:You shall have the right to obtain from us the restriction of processing.
- Right to data portability:You shall have the right to receive the personal data concerning you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and you shall have the right to transmit those data to another controller without hindrance from us. You shall also have the right to have the personal data transmitted directly from us to another controller, where technically feasible.
- Right to object:You shall have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time to processing of personal data concerning you, which is based on legitimate interests or for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller
In such case, we shall no longer process the personal data unless we demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing, which override your interests, rights and freedoms or where the processing is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority:Without prejudice to any other administrative or judicial remedy, you shall have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the Member State of your habitual residence, place of work or place of the alleged infringement if you consider that the processing of personal data relating to you infringes.
Where the processing is based on your informed consent, you shall have the right to withdraw consent at any time, without affecting the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. Therefore, you may send us a message to firstname.lastname@example.org